Monday, December 22, 2008

I Prefer

It's saddening when even pastors are immature and worldly.

2 young pastors expressed that they don't "prefer" to preach on Saturday. Probably because of the smaller size of audience and that they were being criticized on their sermons.

Usually I would stand on the side of the pastors when people criticize sermons, but even before I heard that there are criticism on their sermons, I already find their sermons to be problematic and unbiblical. I am actually glad that somebody finally told them because they think they were great and a bit too prideful of their sermons.

One of them preaches sermons with no conclusion, share way too much about his experience and his limited knowledge instead of using the Bible as the groundwork. MOre than half the time he has good intention but his sermons are confusing and he doesn't give Biblical conclusion. There is not authoritative God-view in his sermon. The same can be said for the other one.

The other basically preaches post-modernist sermons. Very dangerous. I hope he knows what the heck he's doing with these sermons. Actually it's bad either way. If the sermons are intentional then there is something wrong with his theology. If he doesn't then he is basically dumb and not know what the heck he's talking about.

Most church goers can't detect these things for several reasons:

  • falling asleep during sermon
  • not paying attention during sermon
  • poor Biblical knowledge and base
  • poor theology
  • haven't heard much sermons or talks outside of their own church
  • poor spiritual life
  • worldly view
  • disconnection from God
and etc...

I still remember one time I asked a slight younger brother about the sermon and he complained about presentation, on how the pastor was speaking softly one moment and then loud the next. I was really asking about the content of the sermon. Judging presentation is shallow. I wonder if that's all that he remembered from the sermon, that there were too much crescendos and descendos. What about the content?

I got the same disappointing commentary after a fellowship talk also, but this time by a deacon who I thought highly off. Yeah, the deacon commented also on presentation and how there should be small group reflecting. That was the deacon's only comment. I was wondering, "What about the stuff that the speaker was talking off? Was there reflection?" I wonder if these people are in state of denial and made these shallow comments because they were embarrassed that they weren't really listening carefully or do they really only care about plain "presentation."

I also don't like this mentality of complaining about presentation. It reminds me the trend of a lot of school kids blaming the teachers for not teaching the class well. The trend is epidemic. There are bad teachers everywhere, I believe there are only a small number of really good teachers, then like 50 or more percent of average teachers (good) and then like 20% bad teachers. But from the way you hear Hong Kong kids speaking on teachers, you would think 90% of the teachers are bad at teaching.

As for the preferences.

Do you really get a choice I would like to ask them back?

Yeah, I prefer to be 6'8" with a built like Lebron James and IQ of 180.

No comments: